How to Clean Your VELUX Roof Window
Cleaning the air filter
The air filter can be removed and washed with ordinary household cleaners. Fully rotate and secure the window in cleaning position, then remove the filter from the filter rail. Replacement VELUX air filters are available and can be bought as part of our maintenance kits (ZZZ 220).
Cleaning the pane
To clean the outer pane, rotate the sash 180 degrees. The sash must be secured in position by sliding the barrel bolt into the bushing at the bottom of the side frame. This safety feature leaves both hands free for cleaning. Clean the pane with a soft, clean, lint-free cloth/chamois leather/nonabrasive sponge or a clean, non-metal window squeegee. Clean water will normally be sufficient for cleaning the pane. Ordinary, non-abrasive household cleaners can also be used. Soft water is best for cleaning panes. Therefore, in hard-water areas add a small amount of detergent to soften the water or wipe off all excess water after cleaning.
- Avoid contact from silicone with the pane
- Do not use any cleaning products containing abrasive particles
- Do not use chemical products for cleaning the pane
- Avoid contact with the pane from all sharp or abrasive objects including jewellery
- Never attempt to clean off dirt on the pane without first applying water
- If any works are taking place in the vicinity of the pane, protect the pane with a clean plastic sheet to prevent any splashes or staining from aggressive and abrasive compounds
Cleaning the flashing
Leaves and other debris should be re moved from the flashing around the window once per year to allow rain water to flow freely.
Snow and ice
Remove snow and ice to allow melt water to drain off from and around the window.
Particularly in rooms with high levels of humidity, condensation can form on the inner pane of the window. This can be minimised by fitting a radiator directly below the window and by airing the room frequently.